Brady Township

Brady No. 7, 1880’s

District #2 – Jenkinson School on ‘W’ Avenue, at the 3-corner intersection with 27th St. adjacent to a cemetery. Still standing, privately owned. Named for early feed mill owner and township supervisor Robert Jenkinson.

District #3 – Harper School on Nottawa Road, about ¼ mile south of “XY” Ave. Now a residence. Stood on the old Harold Harper farm.

District #4 – Dinger School, north side of “YZ” Ave., ¼ mile east of Portage Creek at the 3-corner intersection of “YZ” and 28th St. Now a residence.

District #5 – Morse School, located on corner of “U” Ave. and 29th Street. Torn down and replaced by a residence. Located on the George and Willard Morse farm.

District #6 – Brown School, one half mile north of “W” Ave. on 34th St. Torn down. Stood on land once owned by Vicksburg banker, Charles Brown.

District #7 – Bond School on 34th St. just south of “U” Avenue on east side of road. Now a residence. Stood on the old George Bond farm.

District #1 Fractional – Tiffany School, located on the southeast corner of Sprinkle Road and “TU” Avenue. Demolished after attempts to move it failed. Fractional Districts served students from more than one township.

Tiffany School, Koons Photo, after 1907

 Jenkinson School, 1920’s

Schoolcraft Township

Prairie Grove School, District No. 8, Bert Davis, teacher

Bloody Run School – Schoolcraft Township. The site can be found by going south on Silver Street to “X” Avenue, then turning west and going to the end of the road, where you then turn south. The school stood on the east side of the road just before the road turns west. Torn down. Was not in use at the time of consolidation in 1947.

District #6 – Gourdneck Prairie/Webber School. Located on the east side of Portage Road, ¼ mile north of “VW” Ave. Still standing and owned by Schoolcraft Township.

District #8 – Prairie Grove School, half Brady Township, half Schoolcraft Township, located at south end of Portage Road where Outdoor Educational Center is now.

District #2 – Harsha School – Schoolcraft Township. This school stood on the northeast corner of the intersection of Portage Road and “U” Avenue on the farm of Russell Harsha. His wife, Blanche, taught there for many years. The building was purchased after consolidation by Mr. Harsha and moved it to his farm just north of the intersection. Painted barn red, it still stands.

Pavilion Township

Briggs School students, circa 1915

District #1 – located just north of McKain’s Corners (intersection of “S” Ave. and 34th St.) on the east side of the road. Now a residence. Became part of the Climax-Scotts School District.

District #4 – Corner of 29th St. and East QR Ave., across from Pavilion Township Hall. Sometimes knows as Pavilion Center School. Now a residence. This school was closed in 1965 with its students split between the Vicksburg, Comstock and Climax-Scotts school districts.

District #5 – Briggs School – Located on 26th St., ¼ mile south of “R” Avenue. Now a residence.

District #8 – located at the settlement of Pavilion, near the tracks on “S” Avenue west of 32nd St. Disbanded and torn down before consolidation.

Wakeshma Township

Unidentified One-Room School, 1920’s

Fractional District #6 – Holcomb School – Located on the south side of “X” Ave., ¼ mile west of 38th St. Foundation only can be seen. Located on property once belonging to reputed Confederate Civil War veteran, A. A. “Cap” Holcomb. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Fractional District #4 – Worden School – Can be found just north of the intersection of “Z” Ave. and 44th St. Now a residence. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Fractional District #8 – Berger School – Located two miles north of Fulton at the intersection of 42nd St. and “U’’ Avenue. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Fractional District #9 – Leggett School – Located two miles south of Fulton on the southwest corner of the intersection of 42nd St. and ‘Y” avenue. Now a residence. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Fractional District #7 – Hull School – This school was on the north side of “V” Ave. about ¼ mile west of the 49th St. three-corner intersection. The building is gone. Lyle Stryker once taught here. The Stryker Corp. family was originally from Fulton. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Fractional District #1 – Gardner’s Corners School – Stood on the south side of “V” Ave., ¼ mile east of the intersection with 42nd St. Converted into a residence. Named after Wakeshma Township pioneer Jacob Gardner and located near his homestead. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Fractional District #2 – Fulton School – A two-story building right in Fulton, on the south side of “W” Ave. about ¼ mile west of the intersection with 42nd St. Now a residence. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Lynn School – Located 2-1/2 miles east of Fulton to 47th St., then 1-1/2 miles north to the intersection of 47th St. and “UV” Ave. Torn Down. During consolidation, those students livingwest of the school went to Vicksburg; those living east of the school went to Athens.

Beckett School – Located just west of the corner of 47th St. and “X” Ave. on the north side of the road. Now a residence. Students from this school joined the Athens School District.

Mendon Township, St. Joseph County

Strong School, 1925

Fractional District #1 – Strong School – Formerly located on Silver Street ¼ mile south of the intersection with “Z” Avenue. This school has been moved to the Vicksburg Historic Village. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Park Township, St. Joseph County

Fractional District #3 – Mint School – Located on the southwest corner of the 3-corner intersection with Mint Road and Fisher Lake Road. Now a residence. The school took its name from the mint farms located in the area. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Village of Vicksburg

Vicksburg High School Band, 1932

Vicksburg School – 301 South Kalamazoo Ave. Now the Vicksburg District School Administration Building.

Maple Street School Second Grammer Dept., 1893

Maple Street School, 1880’s

Maple Street School, High School Students, 1894-95

Research compiled by Dr. Arle Schneider in 1986. Revised in 1996 and 2002 by Vicksburg Historical Society

Download the Guide to Area One-Room Schools