Representing Small General Merchandise Stores

Download the General Store Story

This building represents the many small general merchandise stores once located every five to ten miles apart in the rural areas around Vicksburg, Fulton and Scotts.

These one-of-a-kind country stores flourished until the years following World War II, when better roads and more reliable automobiles, combined with the growth of suburbia, effectively shortened the perceived distance between city and country.

Williams & Mosgrove, E. Prairie St., 1910

Unidentified Grocery Store, 1920’s