Some of these names are familiar to us today, and some are not, because street names, like everything else, are subject to change over time.
Now, these earliest roads were dirt, period—little more than paths, often with grass and weeds growing up in the middle. And, in say, 1850 that was plenty good enough. Travel was by horse and buggy, horse and wagon or by foot. Maybe someone occasionally would throw a few logs down in a wet spot to help a bit, but that was it.
Most of them were named in a pretty logical fashion. Water Street was the original name for present day South Michigan Avenue because its northern terminus was the mill pond occupied by John Vicker’s grist mill, and a very important landmark in the early village.
However, by 1900 the mill had burned down, and the residents of the street petitioned the Village to change the name to Michigan Avenue—because they regarded their street to be the best residential section in town … or maybe in all of Michigan?