The Society and its extensive collection of artifacts and documents are housed in the original train station built in 1904.
The Historic Village and the Depot Museum are located just two blocks from downtown Vicksburg, Michigan. The Vicksburg Historical Society was formed in 1967, and received its nonprofit 501c3 status on May 26, 2004. The Society and its extensive collection of artifacts and documents are housed in the original train station built in 1904, and also operates the 1880s period Vicksburg Historic Village. The Depot Museum was opened after extensive renovations on June 2, 1990 and was the first building in what was to become the Vicksburg Historic Village.
The Historic Village was approved by the Vicksburg Planning Commission and the Village of Vicksburg Council in 1995. It has grown from the Depot Museum to include nine other buildings housing artifacts that reflect the period the Village depicts from the 1890s to 1932 when electrification was fully realized in the rural area known as Vicksburg, Michigan.
The Historic Village currently consists of a Caboose and Boxcar, Cemetery, Farmstead, Gazebo, Newspaper Office and Print Shop, Railway Express, Strong School, Township Hall, Union Depot Museum, and Village Garage. A General Store/Sweet Shop opened in 2016.
It has displays of goods that could be purchased at the turn of the century in an old fashioned general store. The soda fountain is modeled after a one-time local sweet shop in downtown Vicksburg. The goal is to acquire and restore an entire Historic Village.
Historical Society volunteers are available to answer questions about Vicksburg area history and assist with genealogy/family history questions.